Jul 12, 2011
This is a great video and shows how you can live healthy by buying your food in bulk at costco. If you buy healthy, you will always eat healthy. Remember the key to losing weight is diet and exercise.
May 27, 2011
Many people are looking for secret diets, and spending money on fancy equipment just to try to stay healthy and lose some pounds. Their is no secret diet except cutting quantity, eating healthy, and cutting back on sugar. That is how you keep on track with living a healthy lifestyle, but thats only one side. The other side is exercise. You always will need to exercise on top of changing your diet. You don't need some cutting edge equipment to stay in shape and exorcise. The best over all work out you can do is a good cardio work out that involves running if you are younger, or just even walking if you are older. When you start off it will be hard, but if you keep going you will find that you can walk or run more and more each and every day. It's ok to start off slow, in fact that is exactly how you do it, so you don't end up too sore to want to do it again the next day. Make sure you are consistent with your running/walking and do it every day. These 2 things are all you need to know if you want to lose weight. Keep on going, you can do it.
May 2, 2011
Apr 27, 2011
Everyone loves nachos. They are a great snack when you want to watch the big game, or just enjoy a movie. Nachos that people usually make contain a lot of fat due to the cheese, avocado, and even sour cream in some cases. Today I am going to show you how to make great tasting nachos that are both healthy and delicious.
Half of an 8oz bag of low-fat cheese (2% milk preferably)
1/4th cup of sour cream
1 small tomato
half of a green or red pepper (whichever you like, or both!)
half of a small onion (optional)
half of a can of black olives (optional)
1 fresh jalapeño pepper (optional)
1 bag of blue corn chips, or low-fat tortilla chips
1 large baking sheet covered completely in foil
Once your baking sheet is covered in foil completely put as many chips as you can that cover the baking sheet so that no foil is exposed. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Now is the time to cut up the onion, tomato, olives, and jalapeño into little pieces. Place them evenly over all of the chips. Now cover all of the chips with your low-fat cheese. Make sure on this step you are using low-fat cheese I have found that the no fat cheese comes out a little stringy, and they aren't as tasty. Add as much cheese as you like, just don't add the whole bag, remember we are using low-fat so using the whole bag defeats the purpose. Now that your oven is preheated its time to add your nachos into your oven. They should cook very fast (about 5 minutes) and what your looking for is that the cheese will get gooey. If the cheese looks like it is real dry, or your chips are turning brown, take them out quick, because this is a sign that you are cooking them too long. All ovens are different. Once your nachos have been the oven for 5 minutes and the cheese looks nice and gooey your nachos are ready! Remove the nachos from the oven and make sure you let them sit out for a few minutes so you don't burn yourself. Now you can add your sour cream on top of the nachos, and they are ready to eat. If you want you can move the nachos to a plate or a platter before adding the sour cream. Just use the foil to move the nachos from the baking sheet to a platter or large plate. Enjoy your fat free nachos! This is a great snack, that isn't as bad for you as regular nachos and you and your children can have fun making them too. Remember get creative with the ingredients, just because I like olives doesn't mean everyone does, substitute it for something else you do like on your nachos. Try to keep away from the avocados, they are very high in fat.
Apr 26, 2011
3 medium onions peeled and quartered
1 bunch of broccoli flowerets
2 small yellow squash in 1" slices
1 green pepper in 1/2" strips
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoon of salt
3 tablespoons of butter
olive oil to drizzle over vegetables (not too much just drizzle)
Grilled vegetables are a great healthy addition to any outside grilling event. They are so easy to do and you can get really creative with what you add to the vegetables. You don't have to add exactly what vegetables are on the ingredients list, you can get creative here also and add whatever you like instead. This is very easy to prepare. First you will need to blanch the onions in a sauce pan with boiling water for about 3 minutes. Next get a piece of heavy duty foil and make sure its big enough to completely wrap around all of the vegetables so that you can enclose them totally in the foil, don't worry about breathing holes, the goal here is to steam the vegetables using the grill. Add the vegetables inside the foil, along with all of the ingredients above. Don't forget to drizzle a little bit of olive oil over all of your vegetables. This helps them really cook well. Now completely seal the foil over all of the ingredients and throw it on top of the grill. Grill the vegetables for about 30 minutes while flipping occasionally so that it cooks evenly. Whatever you do though, don't rip a hole in the foil while flipping. Depending on how hot your grill is you may want to cook longer. Don't be afraid to experiment. This is perfect for people that don't like to eat meat, and want a healthy alternative while having a family cookout. Have fun and be creative. Happy Grilling!
Apr 25, 2011
Many products have become available to whiten your teeth, and most of them are really expensive. You can even schedule a teeth whitening appointment with your dentist to get it done, but this too can cost a pretty penny. There have been a number of sites around the Internet selling the cost effective method of whitening your teeth with hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. I will show you how to do it on this post at no cost to you. This will help you and your family save big bucks, and keep everyone's teeth white! Here is how you do it step by step...
- The first step is to make sure you brush your teeth with your favorite tooth paste and make sure you rinse really good.
- Get a disposable cup, a box of baking soda, and a bottle of hydrogen peroxide.
- Spoon in 2 tablespoons of baking soda. Next add 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide. Keep adding baking soda, or hydrogen peroxide until it turns into a white pasty consistency similar to toothpaste.
- If you want you can add a drop of your favorite toothpaste so that it has a better flavor. It doesn't taste the greatest, but the results are phenomenal.
- Brush your teeth with the paste like you would any other tooth paste with your tooth brush. Make sure you scrub good on the teeth that need to be the whitest.
- Rinse your mouth out thoroughly so that you have no paste left in your mouth.
- Repeat these steps once a week.
Mar 24, 2011
There are many benefits when it comes to consuming flax seeds. Flax seed is a very interesting product. It was cultivated in Babylon as early as 3000 BC by King Charlemagne. At one point he announced that he wanted every single one of the people that worked for him to eat it. This was a very long time ago. Charlemagne even believed that flax seeds contained magical properties. Scientists in recent times are now concurring with his beliefs of this amazing power food. There has been a number of products that are now listing flax, or flax seeds on their ingredients to get people to buy them to stay healthy. Scientists have found that Flax seeds can help people fight diabetes, heart attacks, strokes, breast cancer, and other forms of cancer. Lets talk about some of the things that flax seeds contain...
- They contain essential Omega-3 fatty acids, which is the same thing that is in fish oil. This is the good fat that is proven to be healthy for your heart.
- They also contain lignans which contain anti-oxidant properties and even plant estrogen. Flax seed contains more than 800 times more lignans than other plant based foods.
- Flax seed also contains both soluble and insoluble types of fiber. This is great for the digestive system and keeping you healthy also.
Mar 16, 2011
Vegetable soup is a very easy way to cook a healthy meal for yourself or your whole family. I love making vegetable soup myself, so that I can include only the ingredients I feel like eating that day. You can only get canned vegetable soup in only so many ways. My favorite canned soup while we are on the topic, is Progresso brand. Progresso comes in many different flavors, and they also have the kind that has extra fiber. This is a very quick and easy way to change your diet and lose weight, without starving your taste buds. In this article I will be showing you how to make your own vegetable soup.
3 to 4 cups of chopped vegetables of your choice: carrots, zucchini, mushrooms, parsley, green beans, or onions.
One teaspoon of salt.
One teaspoon of thyme.
One teaspoon of Oregano.
8 cups of water.
One full can of diced tomatoes.
One can of beans.
One source of starch for example: noodles, or potatoes.
3 bouillon cubes.
- Prepare your vegetables by chopping up all of the vegetables that you wish to include in the soup.
- Sauté the vegetables in a stock pan, and make sure to put in the tablespoon of olive oil. Set this on a low heat. Make sure you cook them for about 3-4 minutes. Add mushrooms (if you are including them) and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add all of the water from the ingredients, all of the bullion cubes, your potatoes (if you have any), and all all of the spices. Bring the water to a boil. After the water is boiling you can go ahead and reduce the heat to low, and cover with the lid. You should boil everything until the potatoes are soft (or about 15 minutes). It is recommended that you add the parsley right before the potatoes are completely done, but this is not necessary.
- Now it is time to add the final ingredients. Add the tomatoes, and don't forget to add the beans if you are adding any. Now you can bring the water back to a boil.
- After the souped has boiled for about 1 minute your soup is ready! Server as-is, or you can add crackers, though that doesn't make it as healthy as eating the soup by itself. Crackers have a lot of sodium.
I hope you have enjoyed my recipe on making your very own vegetable soup. Mix and match whatever vegetables you like. Just because it is not listed here, doesn't mean its not possible and extremely tasty. This is fun to make because you can get real experimental with it! Don't be afraid to let your creative juices fly, you just might end up with a masterpiece. Cheers!
Mar 8, 2011
Kava has been used for thousands of years in the South Pacific Islands to treat both anxiety and Insomnia. Kava has been found to thin the blood much like alcohol. Make sure that you aren't taking blood thinners, or blood clotting medication, because Kava may interfere with your health. Kava is still a great natural way to combat insomnia and anxiety. You can buy Kava tea, or make it yourself from the leaves. There are many videos on YouTube about how to do this. Another common way people take Kava is in capsule form. You can buy these capsules anywhere like at a whole foods store, and even Walgreens. I have taken Kava Kava and I have found that it is a little more powerful that Valerian Root. I usually take about 6 valerian root every morning to combat my anxiety. I don't recommend you do this if you are just starting valerian root, but I do have anxiety problems. I have found that I can get the same effect by taking 4 Kava capsules. This is great! I recommend everyone try Kava that has an insomnia problem. I can deal with my anxiety much better by being on Kava. Just don't take too much, because you could want to fall asleep during the day.
Mar 3, 2011
Mar 2, 2011
1 cup of water
20 grams of your favorite protein powder
6-8 cubes of ice
half a cup of oatmeal
Protein is essential for everyones body. Especially if you are working out regularly. First thing you need to do is fill up the blender with a cup of water. Next go ahead and add about 6 ice cubes, depending on the size of your ice cubes. If you have smaller ice cubes you might want to add more. The best thing to do is crush the ice first, this way it doesn't splash protein powder, and oatmeal everywhere which would make it harder to get your blender clean. Once the ice cubes are blended into the water, go ahead and add your 20 grams of protein powder, and your half a cup of oatmeal. Start your blender on the slow setting for about 15 seconds, and then increase the speed of your blender to the max setting slowly, and let it blend for 30 more seconds. This helps reduce the splashing of the ingredients everywhere. Now you have a great tasting protein shake that you can have anytime. The oatmeal is wonderful for the slow release of energy to you throughout your day. This is a great tasting protein shake that is great to have every morning. Enjoy!
Mar 1, 2011
I have had a lot of experience with different types of energy drinks and energy shots. The question is though are they good for you? Energy shots come in a lot of different brands now a days, and even Red Bull who only used to make energy drinks, has now diversified into the energy shot business. These energy shots are easier to slam down compared to the standard energy drink. Most energy drinks are carbonated which doesn't make drinking them any easier. This is why energy shots were born. Most energy shots contain about 200 milligrams of caffeine which is about as much as 2 cups of coffee, depending on the coffee. They also have 100 milligrams of taurine, which is an amino acid. They also have loads of B vitamins that are in the form of niacin. This causes a flushed feeling in a lot of people and might even make their faces turn red. Don't worry this is rare, and doesn't happen to everyone. Some energy shots might contain green tea, or gaurana as an added boost. Taking all of these in conjunction might not be wise, especially if done in excess. Some people even mix these drinks with alcohol hoping they will offset the drowsiness that comes with drinking alcohol so they can drink more. This is also a bad idea because of the side effects. It is also easy to forget how many shots of energy you have had while you are drinking, not to mention you might over do it on the alcohol. Either way you look at it this has the potential for disaster. Some of the side effects of drinking these energy shots is that you could have mood changes, nervousness, and insomnia with every single energy shot you take. I usually don't like to take an energy shot after 3pm because I am always afraid I won't be able to sleep. As long as you do that you should be fine. Any energy shot taken after 3pm has the possibility of making you not be able to sleep that night. I have known people though that can take 3 energy shots a day and never have trouble sleeping. I guess this depends on how your body handles all of these ingredients. Some people can handle it, other people get jittery and nervous. It is also proven that energy shots can make you have an irregular heart beat. This is scary enough for some people not to want to take it. You should know though that the irregular heart beat comes with being nervous. The more nervous you are, the more irregular your heart will beat. This I believe is obvious. Some people have also reported that they get nausea while taking these shots. If you can handle lots of caffeine and you know your body though, this could be avoided. Some people can handle caffeine better than others, and most of these side effects are a direct result of the caffeine amount. If you have high blood pressure, you might also notice a spike in your blood pressure reading. This however is pretty normal with caffeine in general. Something that is pretty serious though is if you have too much vitamin B6 (which is present in most of these shots) on a regular basis, you could be looking at nerve damage. This has been proven.
So are energy shots good for you? It depends on you. If you are pregnant it might not be a good idea. If you can't handle a lot of caffeine or have high blood pressure, you could also feel these side effects more than others. Me I love caffeine and this cuts the time of making coffee out of my morning, and it doesn't generate as much bad breathe like coffee. Just listen to your body, never take more than 1 shot of energy unless you know how your body is going to react to it. After you know, I wouldn't exceed 2 shots a day. Try to find other sources of energy because too much of this can't be a good thing. Green tea is still an excellent way to start your morning.
Feb 25, 2011
I have been drinking Red Bull for years to give me a sort of boost. There is always someone in my daily life that sees me drinking Red Bull and quickly says, "that stuff is bad for you". Of course, when asked why, they have no idea. I figured I would let you know some things I have researched. First lets talk about Taurine. I have heard from some people that taurine is a cancer causing ingredient. This I believe is totally untrue and is totally only speculation. Taurine is an amino acid that is naturally produced by the body. It would be interesting to know if the taurine that is in Red Bull is a natural form of taurine, or a synthetic version of the amino acid. However, even if it was synthetic, there is no evidence that this is a cancer causing element, or carcinogen. Many people that work out and are trying to lose weight, take taurine before their workout. This is to give them an added boost, in their fight against weight gain. I don't believe that this is a dangerous chemical, most amino acids are good for you. Red Bull also contains caffeine. Some people take caffeine already in a dietary supplement, and drinking Red Bull on top of that, could make your heart beat super fast like a marathon runner. This usually scares a lot of people, caffeine mixed with the other stimulants in Red Bull really perk you up. Caffeine is easily handled by most people, however, there are those people that have a little bit of caffeine and start having panic attacks, because they don't know how to deal with the dose they have taken. This is the last thing you want to happen, especially if you are at work. Its not that caffeine that is bad for you, but if you go into a panic mode, and you are actually scared, then you should probably go easy on caffeine. Remember, there are coffee and tea drinkers around the world that are addicted, so don't fool yourself, caffeine can be very addicting, and if you are hooked, could alter your mood drastically. There has been some research that carbonated drinks could weaken your bones, and even eat away at your stomach lining. There is not enough research however to make an informed decision about this though. You should however be safe, rather than being sorry. Try to keep your carbonated drinks down to a minimum. Red Bull also contains vitamins. They are mostly vitamin B group vitamins, and some of them are 100% of your daily value in one serving. Be careful though, people can overdose on vitamins and it will make your day very unpleasant, this is something to think about if you are taking vitamins already, especially B group vitamins. Red Bull also contains Niacin. In high doses this could cause an itching sensation around your neck and shoulders and could make your face look and feel flushed. Different people react to Niacin differently. That is pretty much all I have to say about Red Bull. Even though people continue to say its bad, I still indulge from time to time. I have had 1 Red Bull a day for about 2 years and I have been fine. I am not addicted, if anything I just need a way to get caffeine into my system and fast! The other things that come along inside a Red Bull are not dangerous, and aren't harmful if taken alone. I don't see how they would be more harmful if combined. Remember, like with alcohol and coffee, I believe moderation is key.
Feb 24, 2011
1/2 pound of penne pasta
1/2 cup of butter
3 tbsp. minced fresh onion
1/2 tbsp white pepper
1 1/2 tbsp flour
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 1/2 cups of milk
1 cup grated Gruyère cheese
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/3 cup of bread crumbs
Homemade Macaroni and Cheese although not very healthy for you, is one of my favorite additions to any meals. The macaroni in a box does not taste as good as this recipe. Trust me this is going to come out great.
- First you want to preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- If you can, use a stock pot, or just cook the pasta in any pot that you can boil water in. Boil them in salted water until they become tender, and soft. Drain the water from the pasta, and set the pasta aside.
- Now in a separate sauce pan melt 1/3 of the butter over medium heat, and add the onions. Cook this for about 2 minutes.
- Now this step is probably the hardest part. Add the flour and white pepper into the sauce pan. Keep stirring this for about 4 minutes. It is important not to let the flour brown, if it does lower the heat, and keep cooking for 4 minutes.
- Now add the mustard and the milk to the sauce pan, and bring the sauce to a simmer. Simmer the sauce for 10-15 minutes. If your cheese sauce gets too thick, then add some more milk. Once you have cooked it for at least 10 minutes go ahead and add all of the grated cheeses. Make sure to reserve half of the Parmesan, because its not needed yet.
- Shut off the heating element on your stove, and stir the sauce melting the cheese and mixing everything well. Keep stirring the sauce until all the cheese melts. If you think it needs a bit more heat heat it up a bit more.
- Once the cheese is fully melted you can toss it around with the pasta. Make sure you toss it in there good, so that the sauce can get inside the pasta tubes. Make sure you do this step quickly you don't want the cheese getting hard on you while your mixing it.
- Once its mixed together to your liking place it all into a 11 x 14 inch ceramic or glass baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese on top that you saved from earlier.
- Melt the butter that you have left from the ingredients, and stir in the breadcrumbs listed in the ingredients. Sprinkle this mixture over the pasta.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until the top is golden brown.
Feb 22, 2011
1 (14-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper (to taste)
1 stalk celery, diced
1 small carrot, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chicken broth
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
First thing you need to do is preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. While it is taking some time to preheat, next strain the canned tomatoes, but save the juices that are in the can, we will use this later. Spread the chopped tomatoes on to a baking sheet, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Now drizzle only 1/4 cup of olive oil onto the top of the tomatoes. Be sure not to use all of your olive oil on this step. Put this in the oven, and roast it until the tomatoes are caramelized. This usually takes about 15 minutes in the oven at 450 degrees.
While this is cooking get a sauce pan and heat the remaining olive oil on a medium low heat. Add the celery, carrot, garlic, and onion. Cook the veggies until they soften, this usually takes about 10 minutes. When the tomatoes are done in the oven, add the roasted tomatoes to your veggie sauce pan, along with the saved tomato can juices, the chicken broth, bay leaf, and the butter. Simmer on the stove until the vegetables become very tender, usually takes about 15 minutes. After this add your soup to a food emulsifier, or hand held immersion blender until smooth. There you have it folks! Your fresh tomato soup is ready. Enjoy. Please leave comments if you feel I have left anything out. Thank you.
Feb 21, 2011
Hard boiled eggs are a great source of protein that is really easy to make and prepare. I love hard boiled eggs sprinkled with pepper. Some people like their hard boiled eggs with salt. This is ok, but having too much salt is bad for you. Try to go easy on the salt as much as you can. The yolks are good too, however they have loads of cholesterol. I wouldn't eat more than 4 in a day. The whites are very good for you, and thats where most of the protein is. Lets run through real quick how to make these delicious treats that mostly everyone enjoys!
- Make sure that you DON'T use the freshest eggs. I would use some eggs that are 4 or 5 days old. Make sure though you still keep them in your refrigerator. When I say they should be 4 or 5 days old I mean in your fridge. If you leave them out of the cold for that long they will go bad, and they will be disgusting. The reason why you want eggs that are a little older is because that way when they are done cooking they will be easier to peel. Fresh farm bought eggs, if cooked right away, are incredibly hard to peel.
- Put your eggs into a big enough pan so that you can fill it with water, and it will cover the whole egg. You don't want a pan that doesn't cover all of your eggs. Fill it with water, and put it over the stove and slowly bring the water to a boil. The faster you boil the water, the more likely you are to crack the eggs while they are cooking. Some people like to add vinegar to help with the eggs from cracking while they are cooking, however I have found that it affects the taste, and I am not much of a vinegar fan. Instead I use a little bit of salt. This way not only does it help with the flavor, but it also helps with boiling the water.
- Once the water is boiling, lower the temperature of the stove or if you have an electric stove that has a heating element, its probably best that you remove it from the heat for a few seconds. Once the temperature is lowered to a simmer, let the eggs cook for a about a minute.
- Now that you have done this, remove the pan from the heat, and cover. Leave it covered for an additional 12 minutes. The eggs will cook in the residual heat that is still in the pan. Depending on how many eggs you have cooking it could take longer. The best thing to do is in advance cook a couple more eggs than you really want, this way if you are impatient, you can always pull an egg out to see if it is fully cooked.
- Once the eggs are cooked, you can place them in the refridgerator and make sure they are eaten within 5 days. Thats how long they taste great for. Make sure when storing them in the fridge that you store them in a container that can be covered. Eggs can release odors, and if they go bad, it is one of the foulest smells ever!
Feb 20, 2011
Bloody Marys are not that good for you. They come loaded with tons of calories and a high amount of sodium. I have learned great ways to make your bloody Mary more healthy and I would like to share some of those ways with you. You can enjoy Bloody Marys, just make sure you prepare them the right way or you could be killing yourself slowly (just kidding, but they aren't as great for you as you think). Its already bad enough it has alcohol in it....oh who are we kidding thats the best part! At least if you make it more healthy you won't feel so guilty about it.
- Stay away from store bought mixes. Make your own tomato juice if you can. You can also find some tomato juice that has no added salt or sodium. This is key. The salt, and chile salt powder like Lucas (if you add those) are more than enough salt already. Those bloody mary mixes that they sell at Kroger and other stores like HEB, comes with loads of unnecessary sodium, and some times they have loads of sugar. Making your own tomato juice is really your best bet.
- Don't just add celery as a garnish. Get creative, if you have your own juicer or emulsifier, you can even juice all the vegetables together along with the tomato juice. I have heard of people adding things like asparagus, broccoli, spinach, and even okra. Trust me it will taste great, and it makes the drink way more healthy for you, by giving you more of your daily serving of vegetables.
- Adding more veggies is the obvious way to make it more healthy, but something you probably haven't thought of is to add more protein. Some cubes of cheese are good for this also shrimp, bacon, or crab meat. Those all go well with your new bloody mary concoction. Add what sounds good to you, no sense in ruining your drink with ingredients you don't like. The key here is to drink it, and maybe even drink a lot of it! While being responsible of course.
- Here is one I bet you haven't heard...Instead of using Vodka, use the Asian alcohol called Shochu. This tastes almost exactly like Vodka, except it has way less calories. No alcohol is good for you, but moderation, and occasional drinking is good for anybodies spirit! The less calories the better!
Feb 17, 2011
10-12 Roma Tomatoes
2 tbsp Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 cloves of garlic (if you like garlic)
1 tbsp rosemary
1 tbsp sage
1 tbsp thyme
salt and pepper to taste
Preheat the oven at 350 degrees. Get a baking sheet and cut the tomatoes in half long ways. If you want you could core the tomato by scooping out all of the seeds in the middle. This is not required, some people like to leave the seeds to have even more flavor. Either way is fine. Cut up and throw in the garlic cloves along with the tomatoes on the baking sheet. Now take your olive oil and drizzle it on top of all the tomatoes and garlic clove pieces. Make sure you get it on all the tomatoes so that the herbs you add stick to the tomatoes beautifully. When you are done drizzling your tomatoes sprinkle on all of your herbs on top of all the tomatoes. Sprinkle as much salt and pepper as you like to taste, go easy on the salt...it's bad for you. Now add the baking sheet to the oven for about 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, turn off the oven, and leave the tomatoes in there for an additional 45 minutes, so that it cooks in the existing heat. Now you are ready to enjoy your tomatoes. Tomatoes are a great way to prevent heart disease. This is a very healthy dinner, that is very easy to make, and it tastes great!
Feb 15, 2011
Most people when they are sick they take many trips to different doctors and specialists trying to figure out whats wrong with them. Sometimes the solution to your problem is a lot easier than you think. It has been proven that sometimes there is no better way to stimulate all your senses and emotions than music. It has even been proven that classical music helps plants grow. Pregnant mothers that are sick or are having a rough pregnancy found that listening to music has really helped them with anxiety, and complications in their pregnancy. This is because it is good for their child too. They also have fewer physiological responses associated with different types of labor pains. It is also a great way to sooth a child after it has been born. Scientists are still figuring out just how powerful the power of music really is. Music is a very powerful tool in altering our moods and soothing our psyche. I think this is just another thing that our ancient ancestors would do that we some how lost touch with. Not all types of music are good for you and sooth the soul. Try listening to feel good music like classical, or even some great classics such as "Bill Withers - Lean on Me", or "Elton John - Tiny Dancer". It is a common mistake that many people that like listening to rock music, heavy metal, and rap or hip/hop start cranking it up to 11 and think they are going to feel better. That kind of music might help if you like it, but generally speaking it won't have any health benefits to those around you. Bob Marley is another great artist that is good to listen to when you are feeling blue. Remember music is a great alternative to anti-depressant medicines, and other forms of medicine that have to do with pain. You would be surprised how much music can alter your mood if you listen to the right song. When I say listen to the right song, I mean listening to the song that is right for you. People that have recovered from cancer will tell you, music is something they enjoy, and you should too. Next time you are feeling down in the dumps, or sick, try turning up a great song that you haven't listened to in a while. See if that makes you feel better, before you start shoving pills down your throat.
Feb 11, 2011
The process of making a first aid kit is very important. You could always buy a complete first aid kit, but sometimes the family or people you are traveling with might have special needs such as, asthma inhalers, or allergy shots. This is why you may want to consider making a first aid kit for yourself, and for the use of your family. Walgreens and Walmart both sell first aid kits, but I think what they come with is really unsatisfactory. You want to be prepared for the worst case scenario, that way you won't start to panic in a survival situation. Remember no one knows the future, it is always good to be prepared. Here are some tips for creating your own first aid kit...
- Select a small bag that will be easy to carry around, and also lightweight. You don't want to be carrying around a bulky first-aid bag. Remember that if you are traveling with this first-aid kit on an airplane, seal everything in zip-lock baggies.
- Make sure you only carry the most basic of medical supplies. No use adding pointless make-up and other things that won't help you survive alone. Some things that would be a good idea are bandages, gauze, neosporin, antiseptic wash, medical tape, anesthetic spray or lotion, iodine, and even ace bandages. Other lightweight medical items that you can think of might also be a good idea. The more you have the better, just make sure you would need it in a survival situation if you get hurt. Also, make sure it fits in the bag you selected. The idea here is to get all the items to fit in one bag. Tylenol pain reliever is also always a good idea. Never know when you might be in pain, or even have a hangover. Tylenol could really help your day. Especially if there will be no stores around to purchase some if you get a really bad headache.
- You might want to keep some other must have items in there like charcoal tablets, allergy shots (if you have allergies) and other medication that might be prescribed by your doctor in case of emergency. They also sell mini snake bite kits, that you might also be able to squeeze inside there. Snake bites are a big deal, and a kit just might save your life.
- Last thing you should do is have 2 distinct sections, one section for the very basic of medical supplies, and the other, with doctor prescribed medications. That way your not rummaging through your kit in an emergency situation.
Feb 9, 2011
When you have a sore throat it can be extremely painful. Sometimes it feels like there is nothing you can do to make the pain go away. If you have had a sore throat for longer then 5 days you should go to the doctor. This usually means that you have either strep throat, or tonsillitis. These are serious infections and in order to get rid of them you will have to take antibiotics. If you are in that 5 day threshold then I can try and give you some tips on how to get rid of some of the pain associated with having a sore throat...
- Drink lots of fluids. This helps to coat your throat lining so that the irritation from post nasal drip won't affect you as much. It also helps to get the Vitamin C drinks like orange juice. If orange juice is too harsh to swallow, try getting some Vitamin Water. They sell it at gas stations, just find the Vitamin C version, because that helps boost your immune system.
- Install a humidifier in your room so that you can inhale air that has been moisturized so that it will sooth your throat and nasal passages. Whether you have a cold or a flu, this is always good to do. Just make sure that the humidifier filter is clean. You don't want to be recirculating bad bacteria in the air. You can even get a steam vaporizer so that you can add medicated inhalants to help soothe your throat.
- Gargling some warm water and salt is a great way to get relief from a sore throat. Be careful though not to add to much salt, this could damage your already damaged mucus glands. You want just enough to draw out water inside the lining of your throat due to swelling.
- If you are going to take a pain reliever the best one to take is Tylenol. Aspirin when taken with the flue can cause brain swelling and other things that would be bad. If you want an added boost of comfort, then I would go with Tylenol Cold & Flu. That will give you the added support you need for your symptoms.
Frostbite can be a serious problem when its super cold outside. No one really knows an exact amount of time, or temperature it takes to get frostbite. The best way of not getting frostbite, is by watching for the symptoms. Every year thousands of people get frostbite, and many of them will tell you they didn't know they had got frostbite until it was too late. Here are some signs to look for to make sure you and your family stay frostbite free...
- Some of the main symptoms are itching, burning, and numbness. Numbness usually happens when you are cold anyways, so don't just go off of numbness as a sign that you have frostbite. Nine times out of ten its just because its really cold. However the other signs itching and burning are something to really listen to, unless you have other reasons why this could be occurring I would get to a warm place quick. Once you warm up, you can get back out in the cold again. If you were to have a deep frostbite, then you will notice that your affected area will start swelling, there will be blanching of the skin, and your skin may also feel hard. As your skin warms if it turns to a whiteish or yellowish color then you may have frostbite, so it is time to go to the doctor.
- If you have decided that you do have frostbite, never rub or massage the affected area. This may result in even more deep tissue damage. This is not what you want, it will be painful later.
- Once frostbite has been spotted, don't rewarm your body, and go back out in the cold again. All this is going to do is make your frostbite get even worse. If you have decided that what you have is frostbite, you are done, I would stay inside, until symptoms go away and the color of your skin returns to normal. This could be longer then a few weeks.
- If you get any degree of frostbite, it is important that you seek medical attention as soon as possible.
It is easy to get sick when being on an airplane. Especially when you have to sit on the plane for many hours. Many people feel motion or air sickness quickly. Don't fall victim to these feelings. No one wants to ruin the first day of their trip in the hotel room feeling miserable or embarrassed about throwing up in front of everyone on a flight to Europe. Here are some tips to help you get rid of that dreaded air sickness feeling so that you may enjoy your flight and read a book, or watch a movie instead of feeling miserable. You don't have to be sick every time you go on an airplane. Here are some tips...
- If you get air sickness or motion sickness easily, and you know you could potentially get sick, then do a little preparation and bring along a ginger tea bag. Most airlines don't carry ginger tea, but this is a great way to help with the nausea. You can also get ginger from capsules sold at whole foods stores. If you forget to bring ginger with you on the flight, you can always ask for ginger ale. Of course, I would rather have the tea or capsule, so that you can get a sufficient amount of ginger to combat the nausea. The sugar in ginger ale, along with the carbonation could make your nausea worse, but it is better than nothing.
- Before you go on your flight make sure you don't eat anything with a high amount of sugar or carbohydrates. This tends to speed up your blood pressure, and give you an adrenaline rush, which can trigger a panic attack, and a feeling of air or motion sickness. If you want a snack before or during the flight make sure what you eat is high in protein with some low-carbohydrate vegetables. That will help to calm your digestive system.
- Another good remedy for nausea and motion or air sickness is peppermint oil. You can't bring peppermint oil on the flight with you now a days because of the new regulations on most airlines having to do with bottled liquids, so another way to get peppermint is by buying gum, or getting some peppermint Life Savers.
- If you can ask for some crushed ice. This is a great way to settle your stomach and dilute any acid that could be causing the feelings of nausea.
- Some people have found that having a window seat makes them feel more calm. However, others feel they get more claustrophobic when they sit next to the window. Make sure you know what seat makes you more comfortable before the flight, and try to book a seat that makes you comfortable and less liable to panic. If you do get claustrophobic easily then make sure to get an aisle seat. So that you can move around the cabin when you feel closed in. Take a trip to the lavatory even if you don't have to go. It helps with the claustrophobic feelings.
- When you first start to feel sick make sure you take a half of a nutmeg and place it under your tongue. This has wonderful stabilizing and calming effects. When it is placed under the tongue like that it helps enter your blood stream faster. You would be surprised on how effective this is.
- When you sit down the first thing you should do is point your air vent directly at your face. This extra oxygen will definitely help you alleviate any feelings of nausea you may have.
Feb 8, 2011
- Don't drink or take anything with caffeine past 3 in the afternoon. That will tend to keep anyone up longer than they would like. Sometimes people underestimate caffeine and drink coffee any hour of the day. This will generally cause inability to sleep.
- If you cant sleep try getting out of the bed and walking around for a while. Sitting in a bed while you are sleepless will only make you more stressed and anxious.
- Take a really hot shower or bath, and try to use aromatherapy soaps. Make sure to keep the lights dim bright lights make you want to be more alert. Lighting candles instead could even help with aromatherapy.
- There are essential oils that can help you relax as well. You can try adding a couple of drops to your pillow or even your bath. Your hair might wake up extra oily, but hey at least you will get a good nights sleep.
- Take an herbal supplement like Valerian Root, chamomile, catnip, lime flower or even some lavender. Another great way is L-Tryptophan which is an amino acid, and Melatonin. Some of these ingredients could even be found in some relaxation teas. Tea is another great way to take in these all natural ingredients to induce sleep.
- Relax and meditate to some soft music, or relaxing sounds. They sell CDs and even tracks on iTunes for your iPod.
- Try reading a book, or magazine, or anything! Reading is a great way to combat insomnia because it naturally makes your eyes heavy, and your brain exhausted.
Feb 7, 2011
Concerned that you are looking a little more old than you used to? Are you noticing more and more wrinkles on your face? Are you starting to get some liver spots on your hands and spider veins? Well then you might just need to add a bit more apricots to your diet. Apricots have loads of antioxidants or carotenoids. Cartenoids are a very important and special antioxidant, that helps lower your bad cholesterol, and is even proven to help prevent cancer and heart disease. This is great for the body, and a lot of us don't get enough in our regular diet. Don't throw out the seeds just yet either....The seeds are said to help with a real bad cough, or other problems with the respiratory system. Don't eat more than 5 seeds in one day though because it might mess with your urinary tract and digestive system. If you are trying to reverse the aging process then apricots might just be what the doctor ordered. If you need to get more apricots in your diet and you don't know how, a great way is to always keep some dried apricots close. That way when you are on the road traveling, or at your desk working, or even at the gym, you can pop those dried apricots like raisins, or candy. They are so great tasting too when you add them to cereal. Speaking of breakfast if you want another great way to eat them get the apricot preserves in an apricot jam or jelly. You can find it in the jelly section of your super market. I hope this helps you stay healthy and fine your own personal fountain of youth. I have always loved apricots, and now they can help you live longer. I won't stop eating them anytime soon!
Feb 4, 2011
We all know that Super Bowl parties often comes with eating un-healthy snacks, and letting go when it comes to your health. It does not have to be this way! I want to talk about some of the healthy alternatives you can do without anybody noticing. If you want to eat a lot of snacks, and let go a little bit thats fine, but take some of these tips to heart, even a little change is a big difference. See if your husband or wife even notices. Don't let your new years resolutions fly out the window at the time of the big party. Lets talk about how we can make the party more healthy for you.
1.) There are many dip options out there for you to choose from. You can try making your own out of fat free sour cream, plain Greek yogurt or fat-free ranch dressing. Also try adding carrots, celery, or even cucumbers, along with baked chips. They are better than those fried potato chips.
2.) Make your own fresh salsa. You would be surprised how much more healthy this is for you than getting it in a can that comes with loads of preservatives that do not help your body at all.
3.) You can create your own snack mixes instead of Chex try using sun dried cranberries, raisins, pretzels, or dried cherries.
4.) If you desire pizza you can make your own using a wheat dough, and you can top the tomato sauce with fat-free mozzarella cheese. If you want to go one step further you can even use turkey pepperonis. They are much more healthy for you.
5.) Cut up fruit, and use toothpicks so that people can make their own fruit kabobs. It doesn't matter what kind of fruit you use because they are all healthy for your body. There is no un-healthy fruit.
6.) Make fruit smoothies for everyone using your Healthmaster, or any food emulsifier. This is a great tasting drink that even the kids will enjoy!
I hope my health tips help you enjoy your super bowl party, and offer a healthy alternative for all your guests that might be attending. Thanks for reading my post, and don't forget to leave comments below. Thank you very much!
Jack LaLanne has died at the age of 96, on January 23rd 2011. He was a very rich man and was a big player in the Health industry. He has patents from the 1930s that are still in use today by all the gyms and there exorcise machines. He was a great man and always full of energy and life. He lived a very long life, and I think we have a lot to learn from such an extraordinary man. I have loved all of his products from his workout machines, to his food emulsifier. He will be missed. Rest in Peace mr. Jack LaLanne. Here are some of my favorite quotes from Jack LaLanne, that I think are very good, and alluded to what type of person Jack LaLanne was.
"Remember this: your body is your slave; it works for you."
"I don’t care how old I live; I just want to be LIVING while I am living!"
"They thought that athletes that worked out with my system wouldn't be able to throw a ball because they'd be too muscle bound. Those are the misconceptions I had to go through for about 40 years."
"The only way you get the fat off is to eat less and exercise more."
"Probably millions of Americans got up this morning with a cup of coffee, a cigarette and a donut. No wonder they are sick and fouled up."
"If you've got a big gut and you start doing sit-ups, you are going to get bigger because you build up the muscle. You've got to get rid of that fat! How do you get rid of fat? By changing your diet."
"I tell people I can’t afford to die; it will wreck my image!"
"I have spoken to a whole group of millionaires, head executives at Microsoft. Boy did I chew those guys out."
"I invented most of the machines in the gyms. All the leg extension machines to the weight selectors, every one of those I invented way back in the 30’s."
"We don't know all the answers. If we knew all the answers we'd be bored, wouldn't we? We keep looking, searching, trying to get more knowledge."
"Everything you do in life, I don’t care, good or bad – don’t blame God, don’t blame the devil, don’t blame me, blame you. You control everything! The thoughts you think, the words you utter, the foods you eat, the exercise you do. Everything is controlled by you."
"What you need to do is get that tape measure out, and start measuring that gut. Then you start working out and you start eating properly till that gut gets down close to it was when you were in your 20s. Then you'll find out what your weight should be."
Jan 31, 2011
1 bunch of cleaned asparagus
half a small diced onion
half a small diced shallot
one medium potato (quartered)
1 cup of chicken stock
half cup of milk
pepper and sea salt to taste
The first step before you start using your HealthMaster is to sauté your onions, shallots, and quartered potato in olive oil using medium heat for 5 minutes. The next step is to add chicken stock and asparagus. Bring your sauté back to the stove, bring it to a boil, then turn down to simmer for 5 more minutes. Once you have done all of this, its time to bring to the HealthMaster. Add a half cup of milk and pepper and sea salt to taste. Secure the lid, press the on button, then press the run button increasing the speed to 4 or 5 until fully pureed. I love cream of asparagus soup, and it is very healthy for you. It is a great source of Vitamin C, Vitamin A, and fiber. It is also super low in calories! Bon appetit! and stay healthy!
Jan 5, 2011
Ingredients (Pie Crust)
Cup and a half of whole wheat flour
Cup and a half of white flour
One cup of butter
Quarter of a cup of water
Teaspoon of salt
Add flour and butter to your HealthMaster. Next add the cold butter. Make sure you secure your lid, and press the on button. Set your speed to 1, and start pulsing repeatedly while using the tamper stick through the top of the lid. Next add water and salt. Now keep pulsing repeatedly while using the tamper again until dough is fully mixed. Dust rolling surface with flour for the dough before emptying the dough out onto the counter, so that it does not stick. Do the same to the rolling pin that your using. Remove the dough from the HealthMaster and dust it with a bit of flour so that it keeps a good consistency and does not fall apart. Now with the rolling pin roll the dough into a circle that is about 12 inches in diameter. For easier transfer of the dough onto your baking dish roll the dough over the rolling pin gently, and roll it onto your dish using the rolling pin. Press the dough so that there is no cracks or holes, and make sure to flute, or crimp the edges (like a pie).
Half bunch of broccoli
2 cups of milk
cup of cheddar cheese
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
cayenne pepper and onion powder (optional)
Add all of the above ingredients into the HealthMaster and secure the lid. Press the on button and pulse until the broccoli is all in chunks. Now pour the quiche batter into the pie crust. Stick quiche in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown. There you have it! Great and healthy quiche using all natural ingredients and it is very tasty!
4 fresh egg whites
2 whole eggs and a quarter cup of water
4 ounce chunk of ham
4 ounce chunk of cheddar cheese
add sea salt and pepper to taste (this can be done afterwards)
Add all of the above ingredients into your HealthMaster. Make sure you secure the lid. Turn on the machine, and increase the speed to 4. Now press the pulse button repeatedly until it looks like it has blended enough. Make sure not to over blend, unless thats how you like your omelette. Now go get a skillet and spray it with a non-stick spray like Pam. After you have prepared the skillet pour the omelette into it, and cook it with a medium heat. When you are done with cooking the ham omelette, slide the omelette from the skillet on to a plate that is garnished with some fresh fruits! This is a great and healthy way to start your day!
Jan 3, 2011
2 cups of steamed fresh or frozen peas
half cup of the remaining water from steaming (or just water for frozen peas)
First thing you need to do is add all of the above ingredients into the HealthMaster food emulsifier. Next important step is to make sure the lid is secured and closed. Now press the on button and then press the run button. Increase the speed to 6 until well blended. Make sure the peas are well pureed for babies. Here is a tip if you are interested fill up an ice tray with the result and freeze it for storing the baby food. These peas are loaded with vitamins and minerals to keep your baby healthy!